Null

Tuesday 26 April 2016

one room challenge: week 3 accessories

YIKES. Week 3 already??

If you've been following along on my six week adventure to redecorate my new bedroom, you may have noticed that I haven't done much! My excuse: Finishing up the last week of my Interior Decorating diploma at Georgian College. I also had the opportunity to volunteer at Georgian's first-ever Research, Innovation and Scholarship Day, where our program took home a well-deserved prize for "Most Creative". Here we are manning the booth and showing off the DIY lamps we had created for our lighting class. Pretty creative, right?












This week I am also preparing for Georgian College's School of Design and Visual Arts Scholarship Show, where the top students from each department display their favourite projects from the past year for prospective students to view. There is also a judging component to the show, where over $30,000 will be awarded to students from the Art and Design Fundamentals, Fine Arts, Jewellery and Metals, Digital Photography and Imaging, Interior Design, Interior Decorating and Web Animation and Design programs. I participated in the show last year as well, and this year's board will likely look pretty similar to what I had shown:



As wonderful as it feels to be done, it is also a little daunting to now be focusing all of my attention to the One Room Challenge, as there is SO much to do. This week I managed to spend a small fortune at one of my favourite stores: Homesense. And of course I strayed a little from my original plan...but after a little space planning, I decided to nix this gorgeous rug I had initially had my eye on, in favour of some drapes that will be a much softer addition (and a little kinder to my budget). There's a beautiful sage-green that runs throughout the pattern and I plan to play it up with the bedding accent pillows. As disappointing as it is to let go of the rug, I was fearful that such a strong colour on the floor will make the already small space feel even smaller. I may regret this decision, but for now I'm loving the drapes and very excited to see them in the space! The pic below was taken at night with my phone, so it really doesn't do the fabric justice. But you'll get the gist of where I'm going with this :)


I also picked up a few little cheapies at my guilty pleasure, WalMart: Furniture paint from Peony & Plum in Warm Black as well as a pot of white, custom matched to Benjamin Moore's Moonlight White (more on this next week) and my dad and I are prepping for the trim work this afternoon (better late then never, right?). No doubt the last few weeks will be a whirlwind, but luckily I work best under a little extra pressure!

If you're new to the blog, you may be wondering what the heck I'm talking about....well, a few weeks ago I signed up for the One Room Challenge, a blogging event hosted by the lovely Linda of Calling It Home. She's challenged 20 featured designers and a over 200 Guest Participants to link up and share the adventures (and misadventures) of decorating a room in six (very short) weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment