Null

Thursday 7 April 2016

one room challenge: week 1 mood board

I've been standing on the sidelines of the One Room Challenge for many many rounds, however, this year I'm joining in on the fun as a Guest Participant! If you aren't already familiar, the ORC is a blogging event hosted by Linda of Calling It Home. She brings together 20 Designers (an impressive list of bloggers I am in awe of) as well as a linkup opportunity for other bloggers to participate, share progress and cheer on one another. Everyone has six weeks to hustle and transform their space.

For this challenge, I will be making over my new bedroom (pictured above) into a cozy little cottage-farmhouse-inspired getaway. When I made the decision to return to school and move back home with my parents I knew I'd enjoy a few perks, like the home cooked meals (my mom is an outrageously good cook), reliable snow removal (thanks dad!), and free room and board. I definitely wasn't expecting them to purchase a lakefront home...needless to say, we're all excited and I may never move out :)  It also felt like the perfect opportunity to jump into the ORC.

The new house is pretty close to perfection, it had recently been renovated and staged to sell, however the two upstairs bedrooms have awkward sloped ceilings that likely prevented the previous owners from installing doors. With this in mind, I am expecting to get creative with the closet and bedroom door, with hopes of incorporating a pair of sliding barn-style doors (anyone have any tips for installing these?).

The gambrel roof makes the ceiling feel a bit lower then it actually is, so the plan is to incorporate some trim to help give the room the illusion of having some height. I was in awe of the millwork in Vanessa Francis' ORC bedroom makeover from last season, and also found an inspiration image that shows the millwork going right up onto the ceiling—definitely on my list of 'Things to Consider'.

As you can see by my mood board the goal is definitely cottage-farmhouse-chic. Planning to refinish some older pieces I already own, as well as perhaps adding a few modern touches with new lamps, bedding and accessories.

You can meet my fellow Guest Participants here as well as the incredibly talented Featured Designers here.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone has up their sleeves for this round of decorating madness!





12 comments:

  1. Hey Ashley! So glad to see you're joining in this time. I'm doing my bedroom too for this edition of the ORC. Vanessa's bedroom was one of my favourite ORC rooms, and even though I haven't seen a pic of it in a long time, the inspiration must have stuck with me because my design board has many of the same elements.

    I'm so excited to follow along with your progress! Good luck! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley! You're a superstar for doing this so many times, and love seeing your rooms come together. No doubt your bedroom is going to be fab :)

      Good luck to you too!! So excited for this xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for including my bedroom as your inspiration Ashley. I love your inspiration board especially the rug. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vanessa! I've been in awe of your bedroom since I saw the final reveal. Can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for this round, your daughter is going to have a beautiful new space. Good luck!

      Delete
  3. Your mood board! I love Alice's bedroom, too! The space is going to look SO good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! Feels a little daunting, but looking forward to it.

      Delete
  4. Great moodboard and inspirations!! Everyone is going to refuse to leave that room when they visit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! Let's hope that ends up being the case

      Delete
  5. I love your mood board - are you planning to put in a sliding barn door? I can't wait to see how you do it - I'd love to add one to our bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, I am hoping to install 2 sliding barn doors...cross your fingers for me. Doing some research on them and have a feeling it will be trial and error. Will likely have a list of do's and don'ts for you :)

      Delete
  6. This is our first time too! Your mood board looks awesome...can't wait to follow along! Best wishes!

    Vicki and Jenn
    2 Bees in a Pod

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Good Luck!! (although, I feel like I've already been slacking a bit...crazy how time is flying by)

      Delete